Healthcare practices and research centers access, transmit and store patient data. This information is legally protected by the Health Insurance Portability And Accountability Act (HIPAA). The HIPAA consent form ensures patients and health facilities are contractually obligated to their rights and responsibilities.
This article discusses what a HIPAA consent form is, what it contains, and free samples of form templates.
What is HIPAA consent form?
A HIPAA consent form is a document signed by patients to give healthcare facilities the right to use and disclose protected health information (PHI) with third-party services or individuals within the organizations.
HIPAA consent form helps covered entities offer better care services and use a process that best suits their needs.
There are two types of HIPAA consent forms: Notice of privacy practices and authorization. As per the HIPAA privacy rule, authorization is mandatory for use and disclosure of patient information.
What information does HIPAA consent form contain?
A HIPAA notice consent form is provided during the first appointment. It must be communicated clearly and posted on the facility’s website. It must contain the following:
- How PHI can be used and disclosed by the practice as per the privacy rule.
- An explanation that patient permission is required to share health data.
- The practice’s responsibility is to protect the privacy of health information.
- Patient privacy rights such as the right to complain to the HHS in case of violation.
- How the patient can contact the practice if they need any information or file a complaint.
In cases where the privacy rule requires authorization from patients, voluntary consent is not sufficient. Authorized allows covered entities to use PHI for purposes other than treatment, healthcare operations, or disclose PHI to a third party. It should contain the following:
- The number of elements and a description of PHI will be used and disclosed.
- The person who will be authorized to use or disclose PHI.
- The person to whom the covered entity discloses.
- The purpose for which the PHI is used or disclosed.
- Expiration date.
When is HIPAA consent required?
The privacy rule of HIPAA explicitly mentions the requirement for authorization to use and disclose patient information for any purpose that does not include treatment, payment, or healthcare operations.
Health plans who wish to market to individuals require authorizations except for cases when the interaction occurs in person and if the communication involves a promotional offer.
Download HIPAA consent form template
This template can be issued for various purposes such as research, treatment, and more. Below is a HIPAA patient consent form template you can download for free.
Download your HIPAA Compliance Consent Form Template
Is a consent form mandated by HIPAA?
As per HIPAA security rule, a consent form is required in cases where protected health information is used and disclosed.
What is the purpose of a HIPAA authorization form?
HIPAA authorization form is a legal contract that ensures patient rights to their sensitive health data and holds health care services accountable for its misuse.
What are the types of HIPAA authorization forms?
There are four types of HIPAA authorization form. These include
- Investigation, treatment, or procedure agreement
- Investigation, treatment, or procedure agreement for children
- Investigation, treatment, or procedure agreement by parents in a treatment where the patient is conscious
- Consent form for clinical photography or video
What are the conditions for a person to give consent for HIPAA?
There are three conditions for any person to give consent for HIPAA. These are – The person must be sufficiently informed, they must be capable enough to communicate, and finally the individual must give the consent willingly.